The much awaited Mega Auction of IPL 2022 is set to be held on 12th and 13th February in the city of Bangalore. BCCI recently released a list of 1214 players who have registered for the auction. Although a final draft will be handed over to the 10 teams soon, they have already got a rough idea of the players that they need to target.
In this article we shall be talking about five famous overseas players who can go unsold in the IPL 2022 Mega Auction.
1. Imran Tahir – Imran Tahir has undoubtedly had a great IPL career. In overall, he has picked up 82 wickets in 59 matches and has also won the Purple cap award. His most notable performances came for Rising Pune SuperGiants and Chennai Super Kings. In 2019, while he was playing for CSK, Imran Tahir picked up 26 wickets and became the highest wicket taker among spinners in the history of IPL. However, he has been pretty much inactive in the last few
However, he has been mostly inactive in the last two years in which he picked up just 3 wickets in total after playing 4 matches. The reason as to why he was dropped from the starting XI suddenly after such a breathtaking performance in 2019, is still unknown. However, Tahir has not played at the highest level for a very long time now and has big chances of going unsold this year.
2. Aaron Finch – Aaron Finch once used to be one of the most in-demand overseas batters in the Indian Premier League but ever since his form fell off, he has been pretty much out of the tournament. He was in the Royal Challengers Bangalore squad in IPL 2020 but he highly underperformed. Having scored only 268 runs in 12 matches, Finch let the franchise down and as a result he went unsold in the IPL 2021 Auction.
Finch himself said after going unsold that ‘it was not unexpected’. The Australian T20 captain might have had a decent outing with the Australian national team lately but even that was not impressive enough to gain some suitors in the Auction. As it now stands, there are high chances that the Aussie opener will go unsold for 2 years in a row.
3. Andrew Tye – Andrew Tye was simply on fire when he made his debut for Gujarat Lions back in 2017. He picked up 12 wickets in just 6 matches in his maiden season and picked up 24 wickets in the very next season with Kings XI Punjab, which is a staggering feat indeed. However, his career went on a downward trajectory since then.
He got involved in a heated debate with the KXIP management in 2019 and thus played very few matches that season before being released in IPL 2020. He was bought by Rajasthan Royals in the auction but failed to perform well. He pulled out of IPL 2021 owing to personal reasons. His performances in BBL have also not been up to the mark and we thus believe that he might go unsold this season.
4. Nicholas Pooran – Nicholas Pooran might be a very key player in the West Indies squad but his recent performances in the Indian Premier League have been downright poor. Although he put forward a great performance in IPL 2020 having scored 353 runs in 14 matches, he was one of the worst performers in IPL 2021.
In the last edition of IPL, Pooran scored just 85 runs throughout the tournament and there was a period when he departed for a duck in consecutive matches. He has done poorly with the national team as well and there is a big chance that he might go unsold this season.
5. Alex Hales – Alex Hales has always had his fair share of bad luck when it comes to the Indian Premier League. Despite having a brilliant potential in the shortest format of the game, Alex Hales always goes unsold in the Indian Premier League. In fact his only season in IPL was with SRH in 2018 and that too as a replacement batsman.
He has played very well in BBL this year as well, Playing for Sydney Thunders, Alex Hales scored 383 runs in 13 innings. But still, it is very likely that he will be unsold this season in IPL as well.