The Indian Premier League gives a plethora of opportunities to both veteran and young cricketers from across the globe every year. It gives them a platform to make their mark and get a shot at stardom. The money associated with it is crazy good as well. We have had several rags to riches stories in IPL auctions over the years. Young U19 cricketers becoming overnight millionaires is a common sight in IPL auctions nowadays. However, not every player’s fate is written in gold.
While it is true that many players are sold for millions of dollars, a majority of the players who register for the Auctions go unsold. And that includes some shocking names as well. Every year a number of star players go unsold as well and shock the netizens. Harbhajan Singh, Yuvraj Singh and many other famous cricketers have all gone unsold in IPL at some point in their career and it is seen as kind of an embarrassing happenstance.
There are quite a few players who are pretty well known in the Cricket fraternity but can go unsold in IPL 2022. Although the number of teams have been increased from 8 to 10 this year and there will thus be an increase in the number of players sold, many players will still be left out as over 1214 players have been included in the roster for this year’s Mega Auction.
Let us now look at 5 Indian players who might go unsold in IPL 2022 Mega Auction
1. Wriddhiman Saha – Wriddhiman Saha was downright average in IPL 2021. He might have played a number of good knocks when he was at Kings XI Punjab a few years ago, but the format has transformed a lot and many netizens do not deem him fit enough for T20 cricket anymore.
Although Saha was the best player among the disappointing set of players at Sunrisers Hyderabad, he scored just 131 runs in 9 matches throughout the season. He has been out from India’s test squad for a long time now too and there are high chances that the 37-year old will end up being unsold in the 2022 Mega Auction.
2. Amit Mishra – Amit Mishra is an absolute legend in the Indian Premier League. He is the third highest overall wicket taker in the tournament behind Lasith Malinga and Dwayne Bravo and has also the most number of hat tricks in IPL. Widely considered as a T20 specialist, Mishra had a brilliant spell in the 2021 IPL with Delhi Capitals as well but he still might go unsold this season.
Amit Mishra is already 39 years old and he is aging fast. Moreover, there are many young alternative options for Amit Mishra in the Mega Auction and it will be difficult for the veteran to find a place in the teams. He picked up a total of 9 wickets in the last two seasons combined.
3. Kedar Jadhav – Kedar Jadhav has perhaps reached a dead end in his career. Over the last few years, there has been a significant drop in form of the middle order batsman. Kedar Jadhav once used to be one of the regular starters in Team India’s T20 and ODI lineup but in recent years, he is finding it hard to start even in the Indian Premier League.
Kedar Jadhav scored 55 runs in 6 matches in IPL 2021, and 62 runs in 8 matches in IPL 2020 – both years for SRH. As we can clearly see that his performances were extremely poor and for the very same reason, he has high chances of going unsold in the IPL 2022.
4. Piyush Chawla – Like Amit Mishra, Piyush Chawla is one of the legendary spinners in IPL history. He was a key part in two of KKR’s IPL winning campaigns and he is also 4th on IPL’s highest wicket takers list, behind Lasith Malinga, Dwayne Bravo and Amit Mishra.
Piyush Chawla has been one of the most consistent bowlers in the Indian Premier League’s history. However, he is nearing the end of his career. He played for Mumbai Indians in the last few two seasons. He picked up 6 wickets in IPL 2020 and 1 wicket in IPL 2021.
5. Robin Uthappa – Robin Uthappa was a part of CSK’s title winning team in IPL 2022. However, he did not play a major role in it. He played only 4 matches of IPL 2021 and scored 115 runs, which is not such a great display.
Although Uthappa still has a lot to offer and he is one of the highest run scorers in IPL’s history, he may be lost amid the long list of players in the Mega Auction as the youngsters may get priority. He may thus be unsold in IPL 2022.